Welcome, Guest. Please login or register.

May 18, 2024, 04:01:02 PM

Login with username, password and session length

Recent

Members
  • Total Members: 131
  • Latest: Tubetv
Stats
  • Total Posts: 121949
  • Total Topics: 1099
  • Online Today: 50
  • Online Ever: 184
  • (June 07, 2023, 04:50:31 PM)
Users Online
Users: 3
Guests: 44
Total: 47

who leaves

• 343 Replies

ILLINICHIEF

• +24/-372
  • Good Enough
    • View Profile
Re: who leaves
« Reply #300 on: April 05, 2023, 04:23:06 PM »
I would like to nominate this post for post of the week.  With a possibility for it playing for post of the year as well.

That should be a every post pin...."Dom, shut the fuck up". If anyone posts, this is an auto signature line, including Dom himself... ;D
You played this game for fun as a kid, for yourself, no other reason was needed then or now, so, don't kid yourself.

Lkdog

• +412/-230
    • View Profile
« Reply #301 on: April 05, 2023, 04:26:18 PM »
That should be a every post pin...."Dom, shut the fuck up". If anyone posts, this is an auto signature line, including Dom himself... ;D

Ban the mthrfcker. We are a lot of things, but not a place that harbors a pedophile.

ILLINICHIEF

• +24/-372
  • Good Enough
    • View Profile
« Reply #302 on: April 05, 2023, 04:33:02 PM »
You played this game for fun as a kid, for yourself, no other reason was needed then or now, so, don't kid yourself.

Dominic

• +2/-65535
    • View Profile
« Reply #303 on: April 05, 2023, 04:55:37 PM »
Almost every school has had huge turnover no matter who their coach is.  Would be crazy if that wasn't true, given there were more than 3 transfers per D1 school last offseason.

Not from guys that play 18+ minutes a game as underclassmen.

Grad transfers and bottom of the roster never play types leaves

Not the type of contributors Underwood has had leave

Dominic

• +2/-65535
    • View Profile
« Reply #304 on: April 05, 2023, 05:06:17 PM »
The NCAA made it's bed by not getting out in front of NIL and regulating it.  Instead, they fought it all the way to SCOTUS and lost.  They can lie in the bed they made as far as I'm concerned.

I would rather see the players getting paid than having all of it going to the scumbag coaches.

The problem is the players really aren’t getting paid from the revenue that they directly bring in (TV Deals, Attendance Revenue).  The schools are keeping all that money.  So it’s a great thing for schools.  They can keep all the profits, and have a 3rd party pay the workforce.  And the 3rd party gets nothing for their investment.  Quite a ruse.  Will last 2 years max before people get fed up and say fuck it.  Not paying these guys anything.  Give them money from the money they make broadcasting their NIL.  Not my own Joe blow fan money.

Tempo34

• +750/-583
  • You should see my passer rating
    • View Profile
« Reply #305 on: April 05, 2023, 05:32:24 PM »
My point is we’ve always been able to hire quality candidates. Minus a couple whiffs in a row.

I’d like to touch on this again (the Dana Altman point). Good to great coaches have always been a realistic outcome for us. I’d say we had three home runs in a row with Henson, Kruger, Self. If RG didn’t have little dick syndrome he might have made a better choice than Weber. Thomas made the two worst hires we’ve ever seen in Groce/Beckman.

For the 14th time, I am not saying we should ”fire” Underwood, but if the task to replace him came up, im reasonably confident we could do it more than adequately.
Apparently PAMan’s bitch.

illiniray

• +410/-1703
    • View Profile
« Reply #306 on: April 05, 2023, 07:19:14 PM »
. Thomas made the two worst hires we’ve ever seen in Groce/Beckman.

Not quite. You might recall some entrenched people in DIA resented that an outsider, Neale Stoner, was shaking things up. So they arranged to oust him over perks every other AD had gotten.

Similar thing happened to Michigan alumni Pete Elliot. Mel Brewer and others set football and basketball back a decade + to bring him down.

They then pushed to hire Illinois alumni. AD Gene Vance, Jim Valek FB , and Harv Schmidt BB HC.  It was a disaster. Great guys in some ways, but only Harv was competent but he was a bit arrogant and couldn't relate well to the players.

collectively, as a group, those were the worst hires.

« Last Edit: April 06, 2023, 11:45:05 AM by illiniray »
"There is a cult of ignorance in the United States, and there has always been. The strain of anti-intellectualism has been a constant thread ... through our political and cultural life, nurtured by the false notion that democracy means that 'my ignorance is just as good as your knowledge.' - Azimov

Dominic

• +2/-65535
    • View Profile
« Reply #307 on: April 05, 2023, 07:52:04 PM »
Hey Spark and Nichi, the underclassmen transfer problem is a specific Brad Underwood problem.  Here are all the Big 10 transfers from true 1st or 2nd year players that averaged at least 15 minutes a game since Brad Underwood started.

Ohio State (Chris Holtmann)
*FR DJ Carton (23.9) Marquette
*FR Meechie Johnson (17.7) South Carolina

Nebraska (Fred Hoiberg)
*FR Kevin Cross (18.3) Tulane
*SO Cam Mack (34.8) Prairie View AM

Michigan (Juwan Howard)
*SO David DeJulius (20.9) Cincinnati

Purdue (Matt Painter)
None

Michigan State (Tom Izzo)
*SO Rocket Watts (22.6) MS State

Wisconsin (Greg Gard)
None

Iowa (Fran McCaffrey)
*SO CJ Fredrick (24.7) Kentucky

Northwestern (Chris Collins)
None

Rutgers (Steve Pikiell)
None

Illinois (Brad Underwood)
*FR Mark Smith (19.1) Missouri
*SO Alan Griffin (18.1) Syracuse
*FR Adam Miller (25.5) LSU
*SO Andre Curbelo (19.3) St John’s
*FR Jayden Epps (24.6)
*SO RJ Melendez (21.5)

Indiana (Mike Woodson)
*SO Tamar Bates (20.4)

Minnesota (Ben Johnson)
*FR Jaden Henley (20.8) DePaul

Maryland, Penn State both have very short tenured coaches so can’t compare.

As you can see, it’s quite rare for a coach to recruit a player, put them immediately into the rotation as a true FR or true SO, and have them leave for another school.  Unless you are Brad Underwood.

« Last Edit: April 05, 2023, 09:11:19 PM by Dominic »

illinicalvin

• +438/-42
    • View Profile
« Reply #308 on: April 05, 2023, 08:05:59 PM »
Why can't you compare, say, Indiana? Woodson just finished a fairly successful year two. He lost 4 guys last year. This year he's losing a sophomore 20 mpg rotation guy he recruited plus two other guys (one of whom he recruited) and had a freshman declare for the draft. Why is Mark Smith part of a trend but not Tamar Bates?

illinicalvin

• +438/-42
    • View Profile
« Reply #309 on: April 05, 2023, 08:14:21 PM »
Connor Serven is apparently in the portal now, not that he was going to start next year.

So our roster right now is: Moretti, Harris, Gibbs-Lawhorn, Goode, Rodgers, Hansberry, Dainja.

Hopefully Hawkins is back and we can land a scoring point guard and a center because yeesh.

ThePAMan

• +478/-1944
  • Because "PussyMan" and "PenisMan" were trademarked
    • View Profile
« Reply #310 on: April 05, 2023, 08:48:39 PM »
I have heard things that would make me say that Miller himself did not want to leave and that the program did not want him to leave either.
Made Dominic/Plaza, and now Tempo, my bitch. Went from board troll to real life villain to "soulless ghoul" yet, per Tempo, "brilliant" and "fairly reasonable." Mark Carman: "The Whitlock!...Caleb Williams failed Wayne Whitlock."

Dominic

• +2/-65535
    • View Profile
« Reply #311 on: April 05, 2023, 08:56:50 PM »
Why can't you compare, say, Indiana? Woodson just finished a fairly successful year two. He lost 4 guys last year. This year he's losing a sophomore 20 mpg rotation guy he recruited plus two other guys (one of whom he recruited) and had a freshman declare for the draft. Why is Mark Smith part of a trend but not Tamar Bates?

Ok in 2 seasons, Woodson lost 1 guy that was a true FR or SO- Tamar Bates - that had played at least 15+ minutes a game and transferred to another school. 

I’m not including guys that declare for the draft for obvious reasons.

illiniray

• +410/-1703
    • View Profile
« Reply #312 on: April 05, 2023, 09:12:49 PM »
AJ Redd plans to be back. Haven't heard anything about Paxton Warden.
"There is a cult of ignorance in the United States, and there has always been. The strain of anti-intellectualism has been a constant thread ... through our political and cultural life, nurtured by the false notion that democracy means that 'my ignorance is just as good as your knowledge.' - Azimov

illiniray

• +410/-1703
    • View Profile

illinicalvin

• +438/-42
    • View Profile
« Reply #314 on: April 05, 2023, 11:05:48 PM »
Ok in 2 seasons, Woodson lost 1 guy that was a true FR or SO- Tamar Bates - that had played at least 15+ minutes a game and transferred to another school. 

I’m not including guys that declare for the draft for obvious reasons.
Anyone can kick a field goal if you cam reshape the post on the fly.