IlliniHQ 2

General Category => The Deuce => Topic started by: Reacher on January 06, 2022, 10:17:09 PM

Title: George Harrison/Southern Illinois 1963
Post by: Reacher on January 06, 2022, 10:17:09 PM
Not that long ago I found out that George Harrison visited his sister in a small town in Southern Illinois, in August of 1963. Only a small handful of months before he would appear on the Ed Sullivan Show and become one of the most famous people in the world. Cool story. I’ve had Paul phases, John phases, and now I feel like my favorite Beatle might be George.

https://www.smithsonianmag.com/arts-culture/charming-story-george-harrison-vacationed-small-town-america-180974593/
Title: Re: George Harrison/Southern Illinois 1963
Post by: fucking on January 06, 2022, 10:19:31 PM
I once asked Pete Best about that visit. But he didn't seem to know that George had a sister (Louise). He only knew George's older brother (Peter).
Title: Re: George Harrison/Southern Illinois 1963
Post by: Reacher on January 06, 2022, 10:20:18 PM
(https://i.postimg.cc/Nj6zDtMb/F273-B6-D8-EB3-A-4678-90-F0-C4-D679-D28-C40.jpg) (https://postimages.org/)

George hanging out in Southern Illinois months before becoming an icon.
Title: Re: George Harrison/Southern Illinois 1963
Post by: Reacher on January 06, 2022, 10:21:56 PM
I once asked Pete Best about that visit. But he didn't seem to know that George had a sister (Louise). He only knew George's older brother (Peter).

Interesting. Pete Best must have lived his whole life feeling like he lost a hundred million dollar lottery ticket.
Title: Re: George Harrison/Southern Illinois 1963
Post by: Reacher on January 06, 2022, 10:26:31 PM
It’s so weird to think that only a few months before the Beatles took America by storm, he was chilling in Southern Illinois. Quite possibly the last time he ever felt like a “regular” person.
Title: Re: George Harrison/Southern Illinois 1963
Post by: Reacher on January 06, 2022, 10:37:11 PM
As I understand it, Ringo was going to come with him, but bailed when he heard George’s sister had plans to set up promotional gigs. Ringo didn’t want to go on a “working vacation.”
Title: Re: George Harrison/Southern Illinois 1963
Post by: fucking on January 06, 2022, 10:57:05 PM
I don't think I've ever been in Benton, but I feel like all of Southern Illinois is a backwater shithole.
Title: Re: George Harrison/Southern Illinois 1963
Post by: Reacher on January 07, 2022, 09:51:07 AM
I don't think I've ever been in Benton, but I feel like all of Southern Illinois is a backwater shithole.

Pretty much.
Title: Re: George Harrison/Southern Illinois 1963
Post by: Custard on January 07, 2022, 12:33:21 PM
It’s by far the most picturesque part of the state. Garden of the Gods, Rock Rim, etc are awesome. The wine area is nice.
Title: Re: George Harrison/Southern Illinois 1963
Post by: Judge Judy on January 07, 2022, 12:41:11 PM
It’s by far the most picturesque part of the state. Garden of the Gods, Rock Rim, etc are awesome. The wine area is nice.

Agreed. It’s funny how many of Chicago’s wealthy people come down for weekends to Southern Illinois for that reason and the lakes. Hell, quite a few even own vacation homes on some of the lakes.

I love Robb and Tempo’s “better than you” attitudes concerning the rest of Illinois. It’s quite comical.
Title: Re: George Harrison/Southern Illinois 1963
Post by: Chickengeorge on January 07, 2022, 01:14:49 PM
It’s by far the most picturesque part of the state. Garden of the Gods, Rock Rim, etc are awesome. The wine area is nice.

Yeah, but it's no Itasca!
Title: Re: George Harrison/Southern Illinois 1963
Post by: Custard on January 07, 2022, 01:34:43 PM
I’m all for keeping Little Egypt a backwater shithole in public perception. Would be a shame if it got all developed.
Title: Re: George Harrison/Southern Illinois 1963
Post by: No one in Mn on January 07, 2022, 02:13:37 PM
Southern Illinois is a beautiful part of the state, with a 290,000 acre national forest.
Title: Re: George Harrison/Southern Illinois 1963
Post by: ILLove1997 on January 07, 2022, 03:00:43 PM
I don't think I've ever been in Benton, but I feel like all of Southern Illinois is a backwater shithole.

compared to East Central Illinois?

(https://c.tenor.com/2Zz3GBWbRQ8AAAAd/anderson-cooper-laughing.gif)
Title: Re: George Harrison/Southern Illinois 1963
Post by: Reacher on January 07, 2022, 06:34:19 PM
Yeah, but it's no Itasca!

As far as Itasca goes, I am a prisoner here.
Title: Re: George Harrison/Southern Illinois 1963
Post by: ThePAMan on January 07, 2022, 10:03:05 PM
Yeah, but it's no Itasca!

Hahaha. You've never been to the Itasca Helix Camera Shop!

https://www.tripadvisor.com/Attractions-g36174-Activities-Itasca_DuPage_County_Illinois.html
Title: Re: George Harrison/Southern Illinois 1963
Post by: ThePAMan on January 07, 2022, 10:04:46 PM
I’m all for keeping Little Egypt a backwater shithole in public perception. Would be a shame if it got all developed.

There is an episode of  the old The Untouchables show were Eliot Ness had to go clean up Little Egypt.
Title: Re: George Harrison/Southern Illinois 1963
Post by: Chickengeorge on January 08, 2022, 09:15:06 AM
Hahaha. You've never been to the Itasca Helix Camera Shop!

https://www.tripadvisor.com/Attractions-g36174-Activities-Itasca_DuPage_County_Illinois.html

This looks like something my cat puked up on the basement floor.

https://www.tripadvisor.com/Attraction_Review-g36174-d5846460-Reviews-Tree_Guys_Pizza_Pub-Itasca_DuPage_County_Illinois.html
Title: Re: George Harrison/Southern Illinois 1963
Post by: Reacher on January 08, 2022, 09:38:38 AM
This looks like something my cat puked up on the basement floor.

https://www.tripadvisor.com/Attraction_Review-g36174-d5846460-Reviews-Tree_Guys_Pizza_Pub-Itasca_DuPage_County_Illinois.html

The food at Tree Guys is actually pretty good.
Title: Re: George Harrison/Southern Illinois 1963
Post by: Custard on January 08, 2022, 10:01:20 AM
Looks like Chickengeorge is planning to visit Wayne in Itasca
Title: Re: George Harrison/Southern Illinois 1963
Post by: Reacher on January 08, 2022, 10:10:50 AM
Looks like Chickengeorge is planning to visit Wayne in Itasca

We’re closed.
Title: Re: George Harrison/Southern Illinois 1963
Post by: Chickengeorge on January 08, 2022, 10:59:20 AM
Looks like Chickengeorge is planning to visit Wayne in Itasca

I looked at their menu.  The Tree Guys Favorite pizza is spinach, garlic and some kinda fucked up cheese.  No meat?  So that's a hard no for me.
Title: Re: George Harrison/Southern Illinois 1963
Post by: ILLove1997 on January 08, 2022, 11:17:39 AM
this thread is aging like a fine wine

started out great but man, this one could be an all timer
Title: Re: George Harrison/Southern Illinois 1963
Post by: fucking on January 08, 2022, 11:42:53 AM
No meat?  So that's a hard no for me.
I bartended at Jupiter's a little. I can tell you that clever pizza purveyors are always going to recommend the cheaper ingredients.
Title: Re: George Harrison/Southern Illinois 1963
Post by: Chickengeorge on January 08, 2022, 11:49:05 AM
I bartended at Jupiter's a little. I can tell you that clever pizza purveyors are always going to recommend the cheaper ingredients.

(https://i.makeagif.com/media/5-27-2017/Wue-jM.gif)
Title: Re: George Harrison/Southern Illinois 1963
Post by: Reacher on January 08, 2022, 12:07:45 PM
They have good pizza. I haven’t tried the spinach pizza.
Title: Re: George Harrison/Southern Illinois 1963
Post by: ILLove1997 on January 08, 2022, 12:25:30 PM
(https://i.imgur.com/FTDh4dn.png)
Title: Re: George Harrison/Southern Illinois 1963
Post by: IlliniGolf on January 08, 2022, 07:31:36 PM
I fucked a woman from Bourbonnais on a raft in little Egypt while her dog watched !
Title: Re: George Harrison/Southern Illinois 1963
Post by: fucking on January 08, 2022, 07:44:05 PM
Now you're talkin'.
Title: Re: George Harrison/Southern Illinois 1963
Post by: Reacher on January 08, 2022, 07:49:17 PM
I fucked a woman from Bourbonnais on a raft in little Egypt while her dog watched !

What kind of dog?
Title: Re: George Harrison/Southern Illinois 1963
Post by: murphstahoe on January 09, 2022, 06:48:53 PM
What kind of dog?
Wasn't a dog, was her twin sister
Title: Re: George Harrison/Southern Illinois 1963
Post by: ThePAMan on January 09, 2022, 07:02:24 PM
Wasn't a dog, was her twin sister

Identical twin sister?
Title: Re: George Harrison/Southern Illinois 1963
Post by: fucking on January 09, 2022, 07:49:15 PM
Also her cousin, right?