IlliniHQ 2

General Category => The Deuce => Topic started by: Reacher on October 01, 2024, 08:03:34 PM

Title: Veep debate
Post by: Reacher on October 01, 2024, 08:03:34 PM
Sane and clear thinking people everywhere have already declared Tim Walz the winner.
Title: Re: Veep debate
Post by: Reacher on October 01, 2024, 08:06:08 PM
Your first answer actually kind of sucks, Governor Walz.
Title: Re: Veep debate
Post by: Judge Judy on October 01, 2024, 08:08:44 PM
Vance pulled a Harris 😂

Stated well I come from a “working-class family” 😂
Title: Re: Veep debate
Post by: Judge Judy on October 01, 2024, 08:09:37 PM
Vance killed it with his first answer.

Vance 1 - Walz 0
Title: Re: Veep debate
Post by: Reacher on October 01, 2024, 08:16:07 PM
Fairly impressed we’re 5 minutes in and Vance hasn’t gone off the rails yet.
Title: Re: Veep debate
Post by: Reacher on October 01, 2024, 08:18:59 PM
Vance’s eyes are haunting.
Title: Re: Veep debate
Post by: Judge Judy on October 01, 2024, 08:20:03 PM
Vance’s eyes are haunting.

They do look devilish…
Title: Re: Veep debate
Post by: Judge Judy on October 01, 2024, 08:20:42 PM
Fairly impressed we’re 5 minutes in and Vance hasn’t gone off the rails yet.

Walz has been the one that’s lost his cool first so far…
Title: Re: Veep debate
Post by: Judge Judy on October 01, 2024, 08:29:04 PM
Walz looks stressed out. He pressing.
Title: Re: Veep debate
Post by: Judge Judy on October 01, 2024, 08:31:00 PM
Vance is right. These fact checks are not facts.
Title: Re: Veep debate
Post by: Judge Judy on October 01, 2024, 08:35:17 PM
So far…

Vance 3, Walz 1
Title: Re: Veep debate
Post by: Judge Judy on October 01, 2024, 08:36:55 PM
So far…

Vance 3, Walz 1

Vance 3, Walz 2
Title: Re: Veep debate
Post by: Judge Judy on October 01, 2024, 08:38:47 PM
You ain’t gonna win on the economy Walz, you’re boosting Trump and Vance right now.
Title: Re: Veep debate
Post by: Judge Judy on October 01, 2024, 08:40:34 PM
Vance 5, Walz 2

Title: Re: Veep debate
Post by: alum74 on October 01, 2024, 08:41:45 PM
Walz knows his stuff, but he doesn't have the reptile presence of Vance.
Title: Re: Veep debate
Post by: Judge Judy on October 01, 2024, 08:42:43 PM
Walz does seem like a likable and honest guy, but he does fit the self-proclaimed “knucklehead” moniker.
Title: Re: Veep debate
Post by: Judge Judy on October 01, 2024, 08:49:20 PM
Vance 5, Walz 3
Title: Re: Veep debate
Post by: Judge Judy on October 01, 2024, 09:07:13 PM
Walz just said he became friends with school shooters 😳😳😳😳😳😳😳
Title: Re: Veep debate
Post by: Judge Judy on October 01, 2024, 09:08:38 PM
Vance is really good at this.
Title: Re: Veep debate
Post by: Judge Judy on October 01, 2024, 09:12:27 PM
Damn, Vance is kicking Walz ass now. Wow.
Title: Re: Veep debate
Post by: Judge Judy on October 01, 2024, 09:16:06 PM
Walz is looking dumb now on housing.
Title: Re: Veep debate
Post by: Judge Judy on October 01, 2024, 09:28:17 PM
Bad look by Walz agreeing with everything Vance is saying on childcare. Even if he agrees it’s a terrible look because it undermines his and Harris campaign.
Title: Re: Veep debate
Post by: Judge Judy on October 01, 2024, 09:40:18 PM
Vance is really really good at this. He won this debate hands down. Much like Harris did better than most thought, Vance did the same in this one.
Title: Re: Veep debate
Post by: Judge Judy on October 01, 2024, 09:44:43 PM
Best line I saw, “Tim Walz may end up voting for JD Vance.”

😂
Title: Re: Veep debate
Post by: Judge Judy on October 01, 2024, 09:45:29 PM
https://x.com/langmanvince/status/1841295565969375424?s=46&t=nLWTarDKWNHMqYhTVD-LQQ
Title: Re: Veep debate
Post by: ThePAMan on October 01, 2024, 09:51:50 PM
You know it didn't go well since Tempo bailed.
Title: Re: Veep debate
Post by: Judge Judy on October 01, 2024, 09:53:44 PM
Walz looked really bad about lying about being in China and was actually in Nebraska.
Title: Re: Veep debate
Post by: Judge Judy on October 01, 2024, 09:56:00 PM
You know it didn't go well since Tempo bailed.

I tried to be as fair as possible. Vance was really impressive.
Title: Re: Veep debate
Post by: alum74 on October 01, 2024, 10:20:32 PM
Vance won the debate on style, but Walz found his stride on Jan. 6th, ACA, abortion care, and Springfield OH

I doubt this will move the needle either way.  It would've had to have been a huge blowout to have an impact.

This also looked more like what a presidential debate should look like.  We haven't had a serious presidential debate since 2012.

Title: Re: Veep debate
Post by: Judge Judy on October 01, 2024, 10:26:48 PM
This also looked more like what a presidential debate should look like.  We haven't had a serious presidential debate since 2012.

I do appreciate them respecting each other.

I still think Walz votes for Trump 😂
Title: Re: Veep debate
Post by: Custard on October 01, 2024, 10:34:37 PM
I do miss the diplomacy of 2012 debates and think that should be the norm. There is an old Black Mirror episode—one of the first I believe—that basically foreshadowed the Trump rise to power.
Title: Re: Veep debate
Post by: Custard on October 01, 2024, 10:35:05 PM
FWIW I didn’t see a second of this because I forgot it was even on.
Title: Re: Veep debate
Post by: illiniray on October 01, 2024, 10:35:56 PM
I heard it was a civil debate. Walz stumbled early. Vance stumbled late. Who won depends on who you support. I have it recorded.
Title: Re: Veep debate
Post by: illiniray on October 01, 2024, 10:45:20 PM
Vance's campaign incidents can't be helping.

He does a staged a photo op whining about $4.00 a dozen eggs; in front of display case of eggs priced at $2.99 a dozen.

He goes to the place credited with originating the Philly Cheese Steak, and complained they don't offer Swiss cheese.

He held a planned campaign rally at a restaurant. After everyone had been seated and placed orders, he finds out photographers and campaign weren't allowed at that restaurant.
Title: Re: Veep debate
Post by: Judge Judy on October 01, 2024, 10:48:38 PM
I heard it was a civil debate. Walz stumbled early. Vance stumbled late. Who won depends on who you support. I have it recorded.

Vance won that and I think about 99% of people would agree on that. Politics aside.
Title: Re: Veep debate
Post by: Custard on October 01, 2024, 10:54:02 PM
Vance's campaign incidents can't be helping.

He does a staged a photo op whining about $4.00 a dozen eggs; in front of display case of eggs priced at $2.99 a dozen.

He goes to the place credited with originating the Philly Cheese Steak, and complained they don't offer Swiss cheese.

He held a planned campaign rally at a restaurant. After everyone had been seated and placed orders, he finds out photographers and campaign weren't allowed at that restaurant.


These things are being served up to you in a way that aren’t to most people who might consider voting for him
Title: Re: Veep debate
Post by: illiniray on October 01, 2024, 11:29:33 PM
flash poll conducted by CBS News and YouGov.

Roughly equal shares of debate-watchers scored JD Vance (42 percent) and Tim Walz (41 percent) the winner, the poll showed. The remaining 17 percent called it a tie.
Title: Re: Veep debate
Post by: murphstahoe on October 01, 2024, 11:54:26 PM
Bad look by Walz agreeing with everything Vance is saying on childcare. Even if he agrees it’s a terrible look because it undermines his and Harris campaign.

He should say “tonight JD Vance is pretending to be a democrat. If he’s elected he won’t pretend and won’t deliver”
Title: Re: Veep debate
Post by: ILLove1997 on October 02, 2024, 01:12:30 AM
FWIW I didn’t see a second of this because I forgot it was even on.

I got some stupid e-mail about it, I could not possibly care less about those two dorks and whatever they have to say

Plus it was bowling night dammit!
Title: Re: Veep debate
Post by: Reacher on October 02, 2024, 01:22:42 AM
You know it didn't go well since Tempo bailed.

I was helping my kid do his homework, readying him for bed,  and took a nap before heading out for work, Mr. Democrat.

I bailed on the debate 10 minutes in.
Title: Re: Veep debate
Post by: Reacher on October 02, 2024, 01:47:56 AM
I watched the first handful of minutes, and caught a couple short minutes around the middle. I was impressed that Vance didn’t seem to be making a lunatic of himself. I was disappointed with Walz in what I saw, I thought Walz would spank him mercilessly.
Title: Re: Veep debate
Post by: Custard on October 02, 2024, 09:17:01 AM
Stumbled across this just now. Mirrors exactly what I’ve been talking about here regarding my trips to MSP.

https://x.com/cabot_phillips/status/1841216284874457321?s=46
Title: Re: Veep debate
Post by: illiniray on October 02, 2024, 09:47:36 AM
Stumbled across this just now. Mirrors exactly what I’ve been talking about here regarding my trips to MSP.

https://x.com/cabot_phillips/status/1841216284874457321?s=46

The red meat for right wing you are being served up, isn't being served up to the mainstream..

Walz was elected in 2019 and rejected [reelected] in 2023.

His approval rating as governor is still over 50%.
Title: Re: Veep debate
Post by: murphstahoe on October 02, 2024, 10:32:50 AM
The red meat for right wing you are being served up, isn't being served up to the mainstream..

Walz was elected in 2019 and rejected in 2023.

His approval rating as governor is still over 50%.

why was he rejected?
Title: Re: Veep debate
Post by: murphstahoe on October 02, 2024, 10:33:55 AM
Stumbled across this just now. Mirrors exactly what I’ve been talking about here regarding my trips to MSP.

https://x.com/cabot_phillips/status/1841216284874457321?s=46

You're just crying because the Vikes are 4-0 paying Sam Darnold jackshit, and the Bears are paying zillions to a poor man's Justin Fields
Title: Re: Veep debate
Post by: Reacher on October 02, 2024, 10:38:47 AM
why was he rejected?

Guessing he meant re-elected.
Title: Re: Veep debate
Post by: Reacher on October 02, 2024, 10:40:37 AM
You're just crying because the Vikes are 4-0 paying Sam Darnold jackshit, and the Bears are paying zillions to a poor man's Justin Fields

Pretty sure he doesn’t care. I believe he’s at the point he wants them to
be bad so he can feel justified in his cynicism.
Title: Re: Veep debate
Post by: illiniray on October 02, 2024, 10:45:27 AM
why was he rejected?

Reelected. The AI or whatever overruled me.

The meta AI at FB is getting obnoxious. I told it to go fuck itself. It said it would be there if I needed it.
Title: Re: Veep debate
Post by: alum74 on October 02, 2024, 11:58:04 AM
Stumbled across this just now. Mirrors exactly what I’ve been talking about here regarding my trips to MSP.

https://x.com/cabot_phillips/status/1841216284874457321?s=46

Twitter has become Custard’s honey hole for information that confirms his pre-existing beliefs.
Title: Re: Veep debate
Post by: Custard on October 02, 2024, 12:41:17 PM
Twitter has become Custard’s honey hole for information that confirms his pre-existing beliefs.

Rather, I have noticed it with my own two eyes having been traveling there with some regularity for 20 years now, and lots of other people have noticed it too. Used to be a beautiful downtown that’s now mostly an empty shithole. When’s the last time you were there?
Title: Re: Veep debate
Post by: ThePAMan on October 02, 2024, 12:44:44 PM
Rather, I have noticed it with my own two eyes having been traveling there with some regularity for 20 years now, and lots of other people have noticed it too. Used to be a beautiful downtown that’s now mostly an empty shithole. When’s the last time you were there?

Hopefully the Somalians there have not eaten Mn.
Title: Re: Veep debate
Post by: Jobu on October 02, 2024, 01:25:53 PM
Mn would still tell us all to go fuck ourselves. God bless him.
Title: Re: Veep debate
Post by: alum74 on October 02, 2024, 01:34:27 PM
Rather, I have noticed it with my own two eyes having been traveling there with some regularity for 20 years now, and lots of other people have noticed it too. Used to be a beautiful downtown that’s now mostly an empty shithole. When’s the last time you were there?

I’ve been there 4-5 times over the last 20 years.  Unlike you, I don’t judge a city by a visit, or posts on social media.  All cities have their challenges.  It’s been that way pretty much since the industrial revolution.   But they sure do make for good political fodder in the right-wing echo chamber on Twitter.   

Meanwhile in East Tennessee: 
Factory employees clung desperately to a truck before Helene floodwaters swept them away
https://www.yahoo.com/news/factory-employees-clung-desperately-truck-091416773.html

Very Sinclairian. 

Title: Re: Veep debate
Post by: Custard on October 02, 2024, 02:15:03 PM
I’ve been there 4-5 times over the last 20 years.  Unlike you, I don’t judge a city by a visit, or posts on social media.  All cities have their challenges.  It’s been that way pretty much since the industrial revolution.   But they sure do make for good political fodder in the right-wing echo chamber on Twitter.   

Meanwhile in East Tennessee: 
Factory employees clung desperately to a truck before Helene floodwaters swept them away
https://www.yahoo.com/news/factory-employees-clung-desperately-truck-091416773.html

Very Sinclairian.

All cities have their challenges. MSP has very acute challenges that were entirely preventable.

I’m not judging by a visit. I’m judging by many visits over a long period of time. The dozens of Minnesotans I know and work with personally hate what’s become of their twin cities. Mn surely does and I think he’s probably in a much better position to evaluate the situation that you are.

Maybe you like burned out urban hellscapes where vibrant downtowns and neighborhoods were just a few short years ago. In fact, you and the rest of the hardcore left must love it, otherwise enjoying a clean vibrant downtown wouldn’t be a right wing thing.
Title: Re: Veep debate
Post by: alum74 on October 02, 2024, 02:30:08 PM
All cities have their challenges. MSP has very acute challenges that were entirely preventable.

I’m not judging by a visit. I’m judging by many visits over a long period of time. The dozens of Minnesotans I know and work with personally hate what’s become of their twin cities. Mn surely does and I think he’s probably in a much better position to evaluate the situation that you are.

Maybe you like burned out urban hellscapes where vibrant downtowns and neighborhoods were just a few short years ago. In fact, you and the rest of the hardcore left must love it, otherwise enjoying a clean vibrant downtown wouldn’t be a right wing thing.

Congratulations!  You’ve supplanted Mn as our window into the "micro-furies" swirling about the right-wing echo chamber. 
Title: Re: Veep debate
Post by: murphstahoe on October 02, 2024, 03:07:38 PM
I’m not judging by a visit. I’m judging by many visits over a long period of time. The dozens of Minnesotans I know and work with personally hate what’s become of their twin cities.

well, you pretty much hate everything, and birds of a feather flock together

Title: Re: Veep debate
Post by: Jobu on October 02, 2024, 03:14:30 PM
It gets fucking cold in Minneapolis. Like, really fucking cold.
Title: Re: Veep debate
Post by: murphstahoe on October 02, 2024, 03:38:20 PM
Maybe you like burned out urban hellscapes where vibrant downtowns and neighborhoods were just a few short years ago. In fact, you and the rest of the hardcore left must love it, otherwise enjoying a clean vibrant downtown wouldn’t be a right wing thing.

OK, so we went out in Oakland last week. 23rd and Broadway.
https://www.parcheoak.com/
The restaurant was packed - my buddy was very clear, if you are in, you're in, if you might not be able to make it, you're out. There is a cancellation fee on reservations, because they are always full.

Then we went to the Oakland Whiskey Library
https://oaklandwhiskeylibrary.com/
My buddy used to be a member, but he wasn't using it a lot so we just handed the bartender a 50, we know the guy from various bars in DT Oakland he's worked at before. Had some whiskey with Darnell, I'm sure you would have hated to drink with Darnell because well, he's black, and them blacks are making the cities hellscapes with their whole defund the police blacks lives matter bullshit. Darnell has a private locker there, he availed us of some of his stuff.

We walked by the Fox Theatre AND the Paramount. Picked up some tickets for Modest Mouse in early November, Snow Patrol in March, and we're on the fence about Primus on Dec 31.

Now... my buddy was also very clear. Absolutely nothing left in the car - it might get broken into.

Well yes, you have to make some adjustments if you live in the city to take advantage of all they have to offer. Or you can live in the boondocks and eat at Olive Garden and Joe's Cover Band at the Pizza Hut.

Either choice is fine. Some people like Olive Garden. it's a free country. You don't like the City - don't live in the City.
Title: Re: Veep debate
Post by: murphstahoe on October 02, 2024, 03:39:20 PM
It gets fucking cold in Minneapolis. Like, really fucking cold.

no hurricanes though
Title: Re: Veep debate
Post by: Jobu on October 02, 2024, 03:41:29 PM
Did you have a discussion with Darnell about how he's responsible for being black and screwing up cities?

You could always retract it.
Title: Re: Veep debate
Post by: Jobu on October 02, 2024, 03:42:24 PM
no hurricanes though

Maybe a few raindrops, depending on how it tracks. And a breeze. But yeah, I wouldn't expect hurricane damage.
Title: Re: Veep debate
Post by: murphstahoe on October 02, 2024, 03:56:43 PM
Did you have a discussion with Darnell about how he's responsible for being black and screwing up cities?

You could always retract it.

Nope. Told Darnell my wife has cousins who own a distillery and I'm getting him a bottle for Colin the barkeep to put in his locker
Title: Re: Veep debate
Post by: Jobu on October 02, 2024, 03:58:22 PM
So, nothing to retract then.
Title: Re: Veep debate
Post by: Custard on October 02, 2024, 04:58:18 PM
Congratulations!  You’ve supplanted Mn as our window into the "micro-furies" swirling about the right-wing echo chamber.

If lamenting the downfall of once great cities is right wing and pretending it hasn’t been happening because it might entail looking in the mirror is left wing, then yeah you’re right
Title: Re: Veep debate
Post by: alum74 on October 02, 2024, 05:11:14 PM
If lamenting the downfall of once great cities is right wing and pretending it hasn’t been happening because it might entail looking in the mirror is left wing, then yeah you’re right

STRAWMAN ALERT:  Nobody here is pretending that big cities don't have problems.

"Downfall"= Hyperbole
Title: Re: Veep debate
Post by: illiniray on October 02, 2024, 05:21:01 PM
Nothing lower income taxes,  less regulation, fewer immigrants, less welfare, more police, school choice, high tariffs, and so on won't fix.
Title: Re: Veep debate
Post by: Custard on October 02, 2024, 05:31:28 PM
STRAWMAN ALERT:  Nobody here is pretending that big cities don't have problems.

"Downfall"= Hyperbole


What, specifically, am I claiming that you don’t believe to be true? You haven’t been recently, you don’t believe me, you don’t believe third party video footage and eye witness descriptions of what’s happening, and all you do is get mad because I’m pointing it out. These cities aren’t what they were 10 or 20 years ago. Policy has played a significant role in that.

You have chosen to stick your head in the sand and simply say “cities have problems” as if this is normal and not newsworthy, and that’s fine. Actually no, it’s not fine. It’s giving shitty politicians a free pass because they wear your team colors then spending all your time bitching about ancillary issues you don’t like about a guy who isn’t even in power.
Title: Re: Veep debate
Post by: alum74 on October 02, 2024, 05:52:56 PM

What, specifically, am I claiming that you don’t believe to be true? You haven’t been recently, you don’t believe me, you don’t believe third party video footage and eye witness descriptions of what’s happening, and all you do is get mad because I’m pointing it out. These cities aren’t what they were 10 or 20 years ago. Policy has played a significant role in that.

You have chosen to stick your head in the sand and simply say “cities have problems” as if this is normal and not newsworthy, and that’s fine. Actually no, it’s not fine. It’s giving shitty politicians a free pass because they wear your team colors then spending all your time bitching about ancillary issues you don’t like about a guy who isn’t even in power.

So many grievances, so little time.
Title: Re: Veep debate
Post by: murphstahoe on October 02, 2024, 06:00:03 PM

What, specifically, am I claiming that you don’t believe to be true? You haven’t been recently, you don’t believe me, you don’t believe third party video footage and eye witness descriptions of what’s happening, and all you do is get mad because I’m pointing it out. These cities aren’t what they were 10 or 20 years ago. Policy has played a significant role in that.

You have chosen to stick your head in the sand and simply say “cities have problems” as if this is normal and not newsworthy, and that’s fine. Actually no, it’s not fine. It’s giving shitty politicians a free pass because they wear your team colors then spending all your time bitching about ancillary issues you don’t like about a guy who isn’t even in power.

I've been in the Bay Area 20 years. SF is better than it was 20 years ago. More homeless in tents, *less* open air drug dealing. Petty crime, about the same.

Concert scene, restaurant scene, public event scene - much better.

The only problem is that - housing prices have gone up. A lot. Hint: that only happens if demand to live in a place increases.

Ditto Oakland, San Jose, Sacramento
Title: Re: Veep debate
Post by: ILLove1997 on October 03, 2024, 12:41:30 AM
OK, so we went out in Oakland last week. 23rd and Broadway.
https://www.parcheoak.com/
The restaurant was packed - my buddy was very clear, if you are in, you're in, if you might not be able to make it, you're out. There is a cancellation fee on reservations, because they are always full.

Then we went to the Oakland Whiskey Library
https://oaklandwhiskeylibrary.com/
My buddy used to be a member, but he wasn't using it a lot so we just handed the bartender a 50, we know the guy from various bars in DT Oakland he's worked at before. Had some whiskey with Darnell, I'm sure you would have hated to drink with Darnell because well, he's black, and them blacks are making the cities hellscapes with their whole defund the police blacks lives matter bullshit. Darnell has a private locker there, he availed us of some of his stuff.

We walked by the Fox Theatre AND the Paramount. Picked up some tickets for Modest Mouse in early November, Snow Patrol in March, and we're on the fence about Primus on Dec 31.

Now... my buddy was also very clear. Absolutely nothing left in the car - it might get broken into.

Well yes, you have to make some adjustments if you live in the city to take advantage of all they have to offer. Or you can live in the boondocks and eat at Olive Garden and Joe's Cover Band at the Pizza Hut.

Either choice is fine. Some people like Olive Garden. it's a free country. You don't like the City - don't live in the City.

Oakland is a FUCKING SHITHOLE

Visited a friend who lives very close to that parch oak joint you were talking about (at the broadway apartments), and holy fucking hell, its the Detroit of California and that's putting it nicely

I was flabbergasted that he was paying $4400 a month to live in a tiny 2 bedroom apartment in that cesspool

my god man
Title: Re: Veep debate
Post by: Custard on October 03, 2024, 01:03:01 AM
lol murph goes to the nicest places in the entire area and they’re still telling him his car is going to get broken into.

 (https://media1.tenor.com/m/MYZgsN2TDJAAAAAC/this-is.gif)

Title: Re: Veep debate
Post by: illiniray on October 03, 2024, 09:21:39 AM
ancillary issues

Little things like actually doing what TSJ was accused of.
Title: Re: Veep debate
Post by: murphstahoe on October 03, 2024, 09:56:08 AM
Oakland is a FUCKING SHITHOLE

Dude you live in Reno.

It's not just a running meme, I've spent a lot of time in Reno, during the blackjack team, when I'd be working on the house, if I was going up and the house was rented.

That downtown area near the Cal-Neva was sketchier than 16th/Mission in SF at it's worst in '96. For some reason we had gone to the Rail City Casino in Sparks, there was word of an exploitable video poker promo or something, we quickly decided that if we played for any reasonable stakes, we'd get rolled before we could get back to the car, and we hightailed it out of there. We pretty much decided - if you have your bankroll with you, valet park at Silver Legacy, Peppermill, Atlantis, or Ascuaga's Nugget, and stick with the plan. We went up for a bowling tourney and the league had got us rooms at some place that appears to no longer exist, The Sands or something like that. I checked in, checked out, went to the Legacy and got a room, the place was full of random homeless dudes who had panhandled a few bucks and were playing penny slots trying to angle a free beer.

Now - last time I was up there, after waiting for like 90 minutes to get a rental car at the Reno Airport while some fellas who whose mental card decks were missing all the aces and face cards and whose mouths were missing several teeth tried to figure out that the Black Chevy Surbuban was for me, I did stop to get a few things at 580 and the Mt Rose Highway. There's a lot of new development there (full disclosure, I hadn't been up there for a while and had no idea they had built 580). I'm not much for McMansions, but it's a pretty nice area, clearly.

Oakland is many times the size of Reno/Sparks. Houses in the Oakland Hills go for many millions, Piedmont, Rockridge, those are very wealthy areas. Downtown is a definitely a jumble, but there's a lot to do, you just need to know how to navigate it. Just like Reno occasionally has some good concerts at the resorts. Sure there are some areas out on MLK that are alsmost as bad as the rougher areas of Sparks.
Title: Re: Veep debate
Post by: murphstahoe on October 03, 2024, 10:05:38 AM
lol murph goes to the nicest places in the entire area and they’re still telling him his car is going to get broken into.

 (https://media1.tenor.com/m/MYZgsN2TDJAAAAAC/this-is.gif)

I went to a nice restaurant downtown, not to the oakland hills country club.

I also have to laugh a bit, remember I go to Osage Beach Missouri every year, definitely not a "city", in a "non-blue state"
The funny thing about the show "Ozark" is that it undersells how much crazy stuff goes on around there. Whatever you want to say about the Bay Area, at least we don't put strip clubs across the street from Middle Schools. But you go to Margaritaville, and it's a nice resort with expensive boats, there are million dollar houses on the lake, etc... it's just the gardener is on meth.
Title: Re: Veep debate
Post by: Reacher on October 03, 2024, 10:09:31 AM
Oakland Hills Country Club is in Michigan lol
Title: Re: Veep debate
Post by: murphstahoe on October 03, 2024, 10:18:41 AM
Oakland Hills Country Club is in Michigan lol

Thanks for the precision check - Oakland Hills TENNIS club
https://www.oaklandhills.com/
Title: Re: Veep debate
Post by: Judge Judy on October 03, 2024, 10:36:21 AM
Thanks for the precision check - Oakland Hills TENNIS club
https://www.oaklandhills.com/

Look at you spreading misinformation…
Title: Re: Veep debate
Post by: murphstahoe on October 03, 2024, 10:41:31 AM
Look at you spreading misinformation…

solid post, A++
Title: Re: Veep debate
Post by: Custard on October 03, 2024, 10:44:03 AM
Dude you live in Reno.

It's not just a running meme, I've spent a lot of time in Reno, during the blackjack team, when I'd be working on the house, if I was going up and the house was rented.

That downtown area near the Cal-Neva was sketchier than 16th/Mission in SF at it's worst in '96. For some reason we had gone to the Rail City Casino in Sparks, there was word of an exploitable video poker promo or something, we quickly decided that if we played for any reasonable stakes, we'd get rolled before we could get back to the car, and we hightailed it out of there. We pretty much decided - if you have your bankroll with you, valet park at Silver Legacy, Peppermill, Atlantis, or Ascuaga's Nugget, and stick with the plan. We went up for a bowling tourney and the league had got us rooms at some place that appears to no longer exist, The Sands or something like that. I checked in, checked out, went to the Legacy and got a room, the place was full of random homeless dudes who had panhandled a few bucks and were playing penny slots trying to angle a free beer.

Now - last time I was up there, after waiting for like 90 minutes to get a rental car at the Reno Airport while some fellas who whose mental card decks were missing all the aces and face cards and whose mouths were missing several teeth tried to figure out that the Black Chevy Surbuban was for me, I did stop to get a few things at 580 and the Mt Rose Highway. There's a lot of new development there (full disclosure, I hadn't been up there for a while and had no idea they had built 580). I'm not much for McMansions, but it's a pretty nice area, clearly.

Oakland is many times the size of Reno/Sparks. Houses in the Oakland Hills go for many millions, Piedmont, Rockridge, those are very wealthy areas. Downtown is a definitely a jumble, but there's a lot to do, you just need to know how to navigate it. Just like Reno occasionally has some good concerts at the resorts. Sure there are some areas out on MLK that are alsmost as bad as the rougher areas of Sparks.

All cities have problems.
Title: Re: Veep debate
Post by: Judge Judy on October 03, 2024, 10:51:30 AM
All cities have problems.

All lives matter too!
Title: Re: Veep debate
Post by: Judge Judy on October 03, 2024, 10:53:17 AM
solid post, A++

Thanks! Were you in China when Walz was too, you knucklehead?!
Title: Re: Veep debate
Post by: murphstahoe on October 03, 2024, 11:05:49 AM
Thanks! Were you in China when Walz was too, you knucklehead?!

I was there setting up the lab leak
Title: Re: Veep debate
Post by: ILLove1997 on October 03, 2024, 12:04:49 PM
Dude you live in Reno.

It's not just a running meme, I've spent a lot of time in Reno, during the blackjack team, when I'd be working on the house, if I was going up and the house was rented.

That downtown area near the Cal-Neva was sketchier than 16th/Mission in SF at it's worst in '96. For some reason we had gone to the Rail City Casino in Sparks, there was word of an exploitable video poker promo or something, we quickly decided that if we played for any reasonable stakes, we'd get rolled before we could get back to the car, and we hightailed it out of there. We pretty much decided - if you have your bankroll with you, valet park at Silver Legacy, Peppermill, Atlantis, or Ascuaga's Nugget, and stick with the plan. We went up for a bowling tourney and the league had got us rooms at some place that appears to no longer exist, The Sands or something like that. I checked in, checked out, went to the Legacy and got a room, the place was full of random homeless dudes who had panhandled a few bucks and were playing penny slots trying to angle a free beer.

Now - last time I was up there, after waiting for like 90 minutes to get a rental car at the Reno Airport while some fellas who whose mental card decks were missing all the aces and face cards and whose mouths were missing several teeth tried to figure out that the Black Chevy Surbuban was for me, I did stop to get a few things at 580 and the Mt Rose Highway. There's a lot of new development there (full disclosure, I hadn't been up there for a while and had no idea they had built 580). I'm not much for McMansions, but it's a pretty nice area, clearly.

Oakland is many times the size of Reno/Sparks. Houses in the Oakland Hills go for many millions, Piedmont, Rockridge, those are very wealthy areas. Downtown is a definitely a jumble, but there's a lot to do, you just need to know how to navigate it. Just like Reno occasionally has some good concerts at the resorts. Sure there are some areas out on MLK that are alsmost as bad as the rougher areas of Sparks.

Quite a bit has changed here in 30 years lol

The worst areas of downtown are around the casinos (including the peppermill and the atlantis to the south), and east 4th street which is currently undergoing some gentrification and a brewery district is going up.  They even shut down one of the crappy homeless shelters there, but even still not many areas of town you have to worry about your car being broken into.

The Sands is now the J resort, and Jacobs entertainment is investing a billion dollars cleaning up west 4th street and turning it into the "neon district"

An area of cool shit (with a lot of stuff like downtoan Oakland has) exists in reno now just south of town called Midtown.  Walkable, mostly nice area with lots of restaurants and bars and entertainment.

That rental car story is hilarious but could happen anywhere really lol, can't say those places hire the brightest bulbs

The areas off of Mt Rose highway like Montreaux, the cheapest house there is 2 million dollars, even the metro average for a house is 600k, so clearly something has changed since the mid 90's lol... my house is just inside the McCarran loop in the hills and its hard to find a house there for under a mil, and that was considered the outskirts of town when it was built in 1988

There are definitely some less desirable spots full of trailer trash like Sun Valley, but even Sparks has a pretty low crime rate compared to Oakland lol.

And you're right, we typically get good comedians but bands are hit or miss, I did see Smashing Pumpkins two weeks ago at the GSR and had a great time.  Never been so close to the stage when I'd see them elsewhere, I was like 10 feet away from the band, god damn they look old lol

Title: Re: Veep debate
Post by: murphstahoe on October 03, 2024, 01:21:41 PM
Quite a bit has changed here in 30 years lol

The worst areas of downtown are around the casinos (including the peppermill and the atlantis to the south), and east 4th street which is currently undergoing some gentrification and a brewery district is going up.  They even shut down one of the crappy homeless shelters there, but even still not many areas of town you have to worry about your car being broken into.

The Sands is now the J resort, and Jacobs entertainment is investing a billion dollars cleaning up west 4th street and turning it into the "neon district"

An area of cool shit (with a lot of stuff like downtoan Oakland has) exists in reno now just south of town called Midtown.  Walkable, mostly nice area with lots of restaurants and bars and entertainment.

That rental car story is hilarious but could happen anywhere really lol, can't say those places hire the brightest bulbs

The areas off of Mt Rose highway like Montreaux, the cheapest house there is 2 million dollars, even the metro average for a house is 600k, so clearly something has changed since the mid 90's lol... my house is just inside the McCarran loop in the hills and its hard to find a house there for under a mil, and that was considered the outskirts of town when it was built in 1988

There are definitely some less desirable spots full of trailer trash like Sun Valley, but even Sparks has a pretty low crime rate compared to Oakland lol.

And you're right, we typically get good comedians but bands are hit or miss, I did see Smashing Pumpkins two weeks ago at the GSR and had a great time.  Never been so close to the stage when I'd see them elsewhere, I was like 10 feet away from the band, god damn they look old lol

A+ post
Title: Re: Veep debate
Post by: ThePAMan on October 03, 2024, 01:23:30 PM
QAnon97 and Murph agree on something. It is like dogs and cats living together. Mass hysteria.
Title: Re: Veep debate
Post by: Reacher on October 03, 2024, 01:27:59 PM
As far as I know, the only good thing to come out of Reno is Reno 911.
Title: Re: Veep debate
Post by: ILLove1997 on October 03, 2024, 01:52:31 PM
As far as I know, the only good thing to come out of Reno is Reno 911.

That was filmed in LA
Title: Re: Veep debate
Post by: Reacher on October 03, 2024, 02:00:32 PM
That was filmed in LA

Don’t care.
Title: Re: Veep debate
Post by: Reacher on October 03, 2024, 02:01:04 PM
Then as far as I’m aware of, nothing good has come out of Reno.
Title: Re: Veep debate
Post by: murphstahoe on October 03, 2024, 03:19:19 PM
QAnon97 and Murph agree on something. It is like dogs and cats living together. Mass hysteria.

I don't think this is agreeing on something as much as appreciating a post that has a lot of good information.

We both agree Justin Fields sucks by the way
Title: Re: Veep debate
Post by: ILLove1997 on October 03, 2024, 03:55:16 PM
I don't think this is agreeing on something as much as appreciating a post that has a lot of good information.

We both agree Justin Fields sucks by the way

He really does
Title: Re: Veep debate
Post by: Custard on October 04, 2024, 11:53:41 AM
https://x.com/collinrugg/status/1841862446929387966?s=46

Glad someone in the left wing news sphere is calling this out.

“It’s ok if our people lie, at least they aren’t Trump!” seems to be the consensus from Democrats, but is that a healthy stance? What a sick system.
Title: Re: Veep debate
Post by: ThePAMan on October 04, 2024, 11:56:07 AM
https://x.com/collinrugg/status/1841862446929387966?s=46

Glad someone in the left wing news sphere is calling this out.

“It’s ok if our people lie, at least they aren’t Trump!” seems to be the consensus from Democrats, but is that a healthy stance? What a sick system.

The problem with your post is that Scott Jennings isn't left-wing. As for the rest, why you picking on Tempo's lying guy?
Title: Re: Veep debate
Post by: Custard on October 04, 2024, 11:58:09 AM
I specifically said “in the left wing news sphere”, —not left winger—since he’s someone on CNN speaking to left wing cohosts and viewers.
Title: Re: Veep debate
Post by: ThePAMan on October 04, 2024, 12:06:22 PM
I specifically said “in the left wing news sphere”, —not left winger—since he’s someone on CNN speaking to left wing cohosts and viewers.

There appear to be plenty of articles out there about Tempo's Guy Walz being a lying sack of shit on "mainstream" news sources that I have seen. I cannot say if they are regurgitated on The Twotter or not.
Title: Re: Veep debate
Post by: Custard on October 04, 2024, 12:42:38 PM
This should be the meteor election. Well the third one in a row, actually.
Title: Re: Veep debate
Post by: murphstahoe on October 04, 2024, 01:05:23 PM
https://x.com/collinrugg/status/1841862446929387966?s=46

Glad someone in the left wing news sphere is calling this out.

“It’s ok if our people lie, at least they aren’t Trump!” seems to be the consensus from Democrats, but is that a healthy stance? What a sick system.

Eric Adams and Robert Menendez say hi
Title: Re: Veep debate
Post by: ThePAMan on October 04, 2024, 01:07:49 PM
Eric Adams and Robert Menendez say hi

Weaponized DOJ at it again!
Title: Re: Veep debate
Post by: ILLove1997 on October 04, 2024, 01:09:25 PM
This should be the meteor election. Well the third one in a row, actually.

Apophis 2029!
Title: Re: Veep debate
Post by: murphstahoe on October 04, 2024, 01:13:17 PM
I specifically said “in the left wing news sphere”, —not left winger—since he’s someone on CNN speaking to left wing cohosts and viewers.

I think Walz did a shitty job pointing this out ...

Vance says that the Democrats "protested the 2016 election, said it was stolen, etc... because the Russians bought 500k in facebook ads"

Saying "The Russians interfered" doesn't say "the election was stolen". The Russians actually did that shit, if that actually turned the election that's a sign that Americans are shitheads, more so that the Russians are some evil puppet masters.

Trump and his ilk are out there saying that the Democrats trucked in 50 million dead illegal aliens to vote, paid off the voting companies to flip the votes, were carrying out ballot boxes under cover of darkness - all of this untrue and then stomed the fucking capital.

Clinton and Obama were at the inauguration of Trump. Trump took his toys and fled DC. By toys, I mean boxes of National secrets. Sure Hillary was pissed about the Russian shit, and this whole collusion thing fluttered about, but here we have Vance on stage who comes up with some sort of word salad when asked "Did Biden win the election?" - when he KNOWS that Biden won the election, he just won't say it because Trump's rabid followers are brainwashed and he doesn't want to go off that script.

Walz did say "Jan 6 was not Facebook ads", but I don't think he rebuked Vance's whataboutism strongly enough.
Title: Re: Veep debate
Post by: Reacher on October 04, 2024, 02:55:00 PM
https://x.com/collinrugg/status/1841862446929387966?s=46

Glad someone in the left wing news sphere is calling this out.

“It’s ok if our people lie, at least they aren’t Trump!” seems to be the consensus from Democrats, but is that a healthy stance? What a sick system.

I’ve not kept up as closely as I typically would. Do we know he wasn’t actually there? What lies are we mad about?
Title: Re: Veep debate
Post by: Reacher on October 04, 2024, 03:06:13 PM
I have no doubt Democrats sometimes lie or massage the truth. But comparing right-wing bs left-wing lies is like comparing Trump’s penthouse skyscraper to Harris’ DC townhouse.

Sorry, but the right-wing disinformation machine is just an entity of its own these days.
Title: Re: Veep debate
Post by: Judge Judy on October 04, 2024, 03:18:33 PM
I have no doubt Democrats sometimes lie or massage the truth. But comparing right-wing bs left-wing lies is like comparing Trump’s penthouse skyscraper to Harris’ DC townhouse.

Sorry, but the right-wing disinformation machine is just an entity of its own these days.

Yet proof was just shown about the extent Democrats went in 2016 regarding the disinformation. Weird how that’s not a big deal but every little thing the big scary Republicans do is the worse thing on Earth. No outrage that Democrats are a threat to democracy or rigging an election. Weird, huh?!
Title: Re: Veep debate
Post by: murphstahoe on October 04, 2024, 03:25:23 PM
Yet proof was just shown about the extent Democrats went in 2016 regarding the disinformation. Weird how that’s not a big deal but every little thing the big scary Republicans do is the worse thing on Earth. No outrage that Democrats are a threat to democracy or rigging an election. Weird, huh?!

Sure there is! This democrat just got thrown in the slammer!

https://www.msn.com/en-us/news/crime/i-am-a-child-of-god-pro-trump-clerk-peters-sentenced-for-voting-machine-tampering/ar-AA1rF1Md?ocid=entnewsntp&pc=U531&cvid=697fb810738e4418a7a4f64029eb6a73&ei=12
Title: Re: Veep debate
Post by: Reacher on October 04, 2024, 03:49:43 PM
Yet proof was just shown about the extent Democrats went in 2016 regarding the disinformation. Weird how that’s not a big deal but every little thing the big scary Republicans do is the worse thing on Earth. No outrage that Democrats are a threat to democracy or rigging an election. Weird, huh?!

As someone who’s been completely disillusioned with politics for a few years now, I’m not familiar with this proof. What is the proof?
Title: Re: Veep debate
Post by: Custard on October 04, 2024, 04:44:33 PM
I have no doubt Democrats sometimes lie or massage the truth. But comparing right-wing bs left-wing lies is like comparing Trump’s penthouse skyscraper to Harris’ DC townhouse.

Sorry, but the right-wing disinformation machine is just an entity of its own these days.

It’s kinda funny you predictably exhibited the exact behavior I was bemoaning lol
Title: Re: Veep debate
Post by: Reacher on October 04, 2024, 08:14:55 PM
It’s kinda funny you predictably exhibited the exact behavior I was bemoaning lol

“Both sides do it.” Amirite?