IlliniHQ 2

General Category => The Deuce => Topic started by: Jobu on September 11, 2024, 11:29:33 AM

Title: 9/11
Post by: Jobu on September 11, 2024, 11:29:33 AM
So, we all know where we were when all this shit was going down. I was actually working for a seed company and getting ready to move a combine from our shed to a field to work. Next thing I knew, I turned the radio on and all hell was breaking loose.

We ended up taking the rest of the day off to watch the coverage.

One thing I remember, that pisses me off to this very fucking day, the gas stations in Champaign raised the price of gas to 4 dollars per gallon, to capitalize on everyone's fear. I will absolutely never forget that bullshit.

Anyway, I'm thinking about visiting my Marine Corps recruiter and enlisting again. Thoughts?
Title: Re: 9/11
Post by: Reacher on September 11, 2024, 11:52:04 AM
Fuck you, asshole.
Title: Re: 9/11
Post by: Chickengeorge on September 11, 2024, 11:57:08 AM
One thing I remember, that pisses me off to this very fucking day, the gas stations in Champaign raised the price of gas to 4 dollars per gallon, to capitalize on everyone's fear. I will absolutely never forget that bullshit.

The local (and privately owned) Casey's did that bullshit, too. There're folks here that still won't go to that place, even though it's now corporately owned.
Title: Re: 9/11
Post by: Jobu on September 11, 2024, 12:00:43 PM
Fuck you, asshole.

Wow. Just want to serve my country. Now I'm an asshole?
Title: Re: 9/11
Post by: Jobu on September 11, 2024, 12:01:16 PM
The local (and privately owned) Casey's did that bullshit, too. There're folks here that still won't go to that place, even though it's now corporately owned.

Yeah, it was a blatant attempt at a money grab. Disgusting.
Title: Re: 9/11
Post by: Reacher on September 11, 2024, 12:10:22 PM
Wow. Just want to serve my country. Now I'm an asshole?

Yeah, I bet that’s it.
Title: Re: 9/11
Post by: murphstahoe on September 11, 2024, 12:33:11 PM
So, we all know where we were when all this shit was going down. I was actually working for a seed company and getting ready to move a combine from our shed to a field to work. Next thing I knew, I turned the radio on and all hell was breaking loose.

We ended up taking the rest of the day off to watch the coverage.

One thing I remember, that pisses me off to this very fucking day, the gas stations in Champaign raised the price of gas to 4 dollars per gallon, to capitalize on everyone's fear. I will absolutely never forget that bullshit.

Anyway, I'm thinking about visiting my Marine Corps recruiter and enlisting again. Thoughts?

Back in those ancient times, I used a clock radio alarm clock, and was awakened by the usually jovial morning people saying "Apparently there are people jumping off the building. The Sears Tower in Chicago has been evacuated"

That certainly woke me up.

These days I guess I'd get it from my phone pretty quick once I got up.
Title: Re: 9/11
Post by: Reacher on September 11, 2024, 01:28:11 PM
I played golf. Didn’t want to, but had a tee time with my dad’s best friend and he talked me into going when I wanted to cancel. Shot a 75. Best 18 hole score I’d ever shot. I guess because I didn’t really care about my score. Good score, horrible day.
Title: Re: 9/11
Post by: Reacher on September 11, 2024, 01:29:30 PM
Back in those ancient times, I used a clock radio alarm clock, and was awakened by the usually jovial morning people saying "Apparently there are people jumping off the building. The Sears Tower in Chicago has been evacuated"

That certainly woke me up.

These days I guess I'd get it from my phone pretty quick once I got up.

I heard about it from my grandmother around 9ish?
Title: Re: 9/11
Post by: Jobu on September 11, 2024, 01:29:55 PM
I played golf. Didn’t want to, but had a tee time with my dad’s best friend and he talked me into going when I wanted to cancel. Shot a 75. Best 18 hole score I’d ever shot. I guess because I didn’t really care about my score. Good score, horrible day.

You seriously just humblebragged your golf game? That's awesome!
Title: Re: 9/11
Post by: Reacher on September 11, 2024, 01:31:31 PM
Let’s go join The Marines together.
Title: Re: 9/11
Post by: Custard on September 11, 2024, 01:36:21 PM
I was hungover as hell in my apartment in Champaign, it was my junior year. Roommates woke me up to watch the footage. Remember my roommate going and filling up for like $5 a gallon because he was afraid he wouldn’t be able to get gas later in the week to go back to Elwood on that coming weekend to farm. He ended up getting money back eventually.
Title: Re: 9/11
Post by: Judge Judy on September 11, 2024, 01:50:53 PM
Woke up getting ready for work and my buddy I was living with told me to come in and see what just happened. As soon as I got in the living room, I saw the second plane hit the other tower. I literally freaked out think we were at war and scared to death. We called work (my friend and I worked at the same place) and said we weren’t coming in. Boss said work is cancelled anyways. The whole world just stood still for the rest of the day. The next morning I wanted to sign up for the military and go kill some motherfuckers, but I couldn’t due to health issues.
Title: Re: 9/11
Post by: ThePAMan on September 11, 2024, 02:33:56 PM
I hope you don't get sent back to Wyoming with that doofus who almost started WWIII, Jobu. Good luck!
Title: Re: 9/11
Post by: Jobu on September 11, 2024, 02:40:41 PM
I hope you don't get sent back to Wyoming with that doofus who almost started WWIII, Jobu. Good luck!

Yeah, woof. Fuck Wyoming, lol. Coldest god damn place on earth in the winter, and the wind never stops blowing.
Title: Re: 9/11
Post by: Chickengeorge on September 11, 2024, 02:47:04 PM
Yeah, woof. Fuck Wyoming, lol. Coldest god damn place on earth in the winter, and the wind never stops blowing.

And I hear tell the cowboys are gay up there.

Not that there's anything wrong with that.
Title: Re: 9/11
Post by: Jobu on September 11, 2024, 02:49:00 PM
And I hear tell the cowboys are gay up there.

Not that there's anything wrong with that.

I'm sure the frogs are. I tried to steer clear of the cowboys when I was there. That rodeo they have in Cheyenne is fucking wild tho.
Title: Re: 9/11
Post by: Judge Judy on September 11, 2024, 03:03:59 PM
I'm sure the frogs are. I tried to steer clear of the cowboys when I was there. That rodeo they have in Cheyenne is fucking wild tho.

Would love to see that.

The rodeo, not the gay frogs… or uh, cowboys either…
Title: Re: 9/11
Post by: ThePAMan on September 11, 2026, 07:48:51 AM
Tempo played golf while his favs handed out candy on 9/11 to celebrate. Truly a sign of things to come.
Title: Re: 9/11
Post by: No one in Mn on September 11, 2026, 10:06:43 AM
I played golf on 9-11.
We were on a fairway and a guy I was with saw a Korean Air plane overhead and said that's not right.
We walked off the 18th green toward the clubhouse and people were all gathered at the clubhouse. We had no idea why they were all gathered.
I heard what had happened on the way home.
🇺🇸
Title: Re: 9/11
Post by: alum74 on September 11, 2026, 11:20:33 AM
https://washingtonsun.com/analysis/25-years-later-9-11-fades-from-congressional-memory?utm_campaign=36387909-%5BNJ%5D%202026%20Wake%20Up%20Call&utm_source=hs_email&utm_medium=email&utm_content=438583784&_hsenc=p2ANqtz-_IyC1xOqoBRb-64KzgLaUfgDAoDjaVBbKLfiDzNYQLhppQ2AfkkhWShB6iSlOEnf8bjpi72FVlk5IVnf8ertLQOsnCEQS2kx5g8C7tYxEJ4B2n7Tc

As the saying goes, "time waits for no one."

9/11 has become just another history lesson like the Pearl Harbor attack and Kennedy assassination.
Title: Re: 9/11
Post by: murphstahoe on September 11, 2026, 11:31:12 AM
https://washingtonsun.com/analysis/25-years-later-9-11-fades-from-congressional-memory?utm_campaign=36387909-%5BNJ%5D%202026%20Wake%20Up%20Call&utm_source=hs_email&utm_medium=email&utm_content=438583784&_hsenc=p2ANqtz-_IyC1xOqoBRb-64KzgLaUfgDAoDjaVBbKLfiDzNYQLhppQ2AfkkhWShB6iSlOEnf8bjpi72FVlk5IVnf8ertLQOsnCEQS2kx5g8C7tYxEJ4B2n7Tc

As the saying goes, "time waits for no one."

9/11 has become just another history lesson like the Pearl Harbor attack and Kennedy assassination.

It was quite a thing when we were at work and I said where were you on 9/11 to a group and one co worker said “not yet born”
Title: Re: 9/11
Post by: ThePAMan on September 11, 2026, 11:40:44 AM
I played golf on 9-11.

Mn and Tempo.....flip sides of the same coin! LOL!
Title: Re: 9/11
Post by: Reacher on September 11, 2026, 03:41:41 PM
This morning I asked my son what he knew about 9/11. He knew about the towers, but I filled in some of the other stuff. I was not at all prepared for how emotional I would get trying to explain it.
Title: Re: 9/11
Post by: Reacher on September 11, 2026, 03:43:31 PM
Tempo played golf while his favs handed out candy on 9/11 to celebrate. Truly a sign of things to come.

I wanted to back out but my dad's best friend twisted my arm to keep our tee time. I shot 75 for 18. Best 18 hole score of my life. Probably the only time I didn't care what I shot.
Title: Re: 9/11
Post by: murphstahoe on September 11, 2026, 05:02:57 PM
This morning I asked my son what he knew about 9/11. He knew about the towers, but I filled in some of the other stuff. I was not at all prepared for how emotional I would get trying to explain it.

if so, don't watch replays of the news coverage....
Title: Re: 9/11
Post by: Custard on September 14, 2026, 03:05:48 PM
This morning I asked my son what he knew about 9/11. He knew about the towers, but I filled in some of the other stuff. I was not at all prepared for how emotional I would get trying to explain it.


Did you tell him how the Jews did it?
Title: Re: 9/11
Post by: murphstahoe on September 14, 2026, 03:17:54 PM

Did you tell him how the Jews did it?

9/11 is not a joking matter, douchebag
Title: Re: 9/11
Post by: Jobu on September 14, 2026, 03:27:07 PM
9/11 is not a joking matter, douchebag

Not sure if I'm missing an inside joke here, but the thing about living in this shithole we call America is that we can say whatever we want.

When I was in junior high, the challenger blew up, and they wheeled in the TVs, and I swear the jokes about it were coming out that same day.

What does NASA stand for? Need another seven astronauts.

What was the last thing that went through their minds when it blew up? 10 foot piece of sheet metal.

Did the astronauts shower before they left? Nah, they figured they would wash up on shore.

Anyway...
Title: Re: 9/11
Post by: ThePAMan on September 14, 2026, 03:31:40 PM
Not sure if I'm missing an inside joke here, but the thing about living in this shithole we call America is that we can say whatever we want.

When I was in junior high, the challenger blew up, and they wheeled in the TVs, and I swear the jokes about it were coming out that same day.

What does NASA stand for? Need another seven astronauts.

What was the last thing that went through their minds when it blew up? 10 foot piece of sheet metal.

Did the astronauts shower before they left? Nah, they figured they would wash up on shore.

Anyway...

Pretty good stuff for middle schoolers....
Title: Re: 9/11
Post by: Jobu on September 14, 2026, 03:33:43 PM
Pretty good stuff for middle schoolers....

It was, actually. The need another seven astronauts thing was literally when we saw the damn thing on fire and plummeting.
Title: Re: 9/11
Post by: illiniray on September 14, 2026, 03:39:34 PM
Wash up on shore was a challenger joke too.

How about gallows humor with a sexist twist? What were Christa McAuliffe's last  words?

Dry: What did Teddy Kennedy say when Mary Jo Kopechne told him she was pregnant?

Title: Re: 9/11
Post by: Jobu on September 14, 2026, 03:43:05 PM
Wash up on shore was a challenger joke too.

How about gallows humor with a sexist twist? What were Christa McAuliffe's last  words?

What did Teddy Kennedy say when Mary Jo Kopechne told him she was pregnant?

The last words one was multi faceted. One version is "what's this button?" Another, more dark one is " You feed the kids, I'll feed the fish."

As far as the Ted Kennedy one, Idk. That one is old. Probably something to do with the whole car off the bridge thing tho
Title: Re: 9/11
Post by: illiniray on September 14, 2026, 03:43:54 PM
9/11 is not a joking matter, douchebag

Don't like gallows humor or jumbotrons?
Title: Re: 9/11
Post by: illiniray on September 14, 2026, 03:45:30 PM
The last words one was multi faceted. One version is "what's this button?" Another, more dark one is " You feed the kids, I'll feed the fish."

As far as the Ted Kennedy one, Idk. That one is old. Probably something to do with the whole car off the bridge thing tho

We'll cross that bridge when we get to it.
Title: Re: 9/11
Post by: Jobu on September 14, 2026, 03:47:13 PM
We'll cross that bridge when we get to it.

Yep. Makes sense. We'll cross it. Or we won't.
Title: Re: 9/11
Post by: murphstahoe on September 14, 2026, 04:09:25 PM
Not sure if I'm missing an inside joke here, but the thing about living in this shithole we call America is that we can say whatever we want.


And I can say Custard is a douchebag, but apparently you don't like MY free speech.
Title: Re: 9/11
Post by: Jobu on September 14, 2026, 04:14:22 PM
And I can say Custard is a douchebag, but apparently you don't like MY free speech.

Oh, no. Sorry. I like your free speech very much.

I can say Custard is a douchebag too. And it's true.
Title: Re: 9/11
Post by: murphstahoe on September 14, 2026, 04:16:00 PM
Oh, no. Sorry. I like your free speech very much.

I can say Custard is a douchebag too. And it's true.

Good to have you back
Title: Re: 9/11
Post by: Jobu on September 14, 2026, 04:17:57 PM
Good to have you back

Thanks. I'll be around mostly for sports talk.
Title: Re: 9/11
Post by: murphstahoe on September 14, 2026, 05:14:07 PM
Thanks. I'll be around mostly for sports talk.

Punching Trump is a good sport
Title: Re: 9/11
Post by: Custard on September 15, 2026, 10:44:49 AM
9/11 is not a joking matter, douchebag

Damn, getting called a douchebag by a spandex wearing cyclist who records confrontations with motorists and posts them online for street/bike lane cred!

This one is going to be tough to recover from
Title: Re: 9/11
Post by: murphstahoe on September 15, 2026, 11:07:39 AM
Damn, getting called a douchebag by a spandex wearing cyclist who records confrontations with motorists and posts them online for street/bike lane cred!

This one is going to be tough to recover from

Surfs the web looking for 15 year old junk for fun. Your imaginary lady friend must find that sexy

Title: Re: 9/11
Post by: Custard on September 15, 2026, 11:57:43 AM
Surfs the web looking for 15 year old junk for fun. Your imaginary lady friend must find that sexy

You volunteered that information on IlliniHQ, although it may have been HQ1 and not HQ2. Not sure.

I remember it because you posted that just a few days after I got stuck behind a cyclist on a narrow country road just outside St Charles. I was taking a trailer load of calves to a sale and it was an unusually hot fall day after having been cool for a while, which is hard on cattle.

I couldn’t get around this prick and get moving fast enough to get any air through the trailer to keep them cool. Maybe it was my imagination but I felt like he was enjoying every second of it.
Title: Re: 9/11
Post by: alum74 on September 15, 2026, 01:07:21 PM
You volunteered that information on IlliniHQ, although it may have been HQ1 and not HQ2. Not sure.

I remember it because you posted that just a few days after I got stuck behind a cyclist on a narrow country road just outside St Charles. I was taking a trailer load of calves to a sale and it was an unusually hot fall day after having been cool for a while, which is hard on cattle.

I couldn’t get around this prick and get moving fast enough to get any air through the trailer to keep them cool. Maybe it was my imagination but I felt like he was enjoying every second of it.

Getting stuck behind a lone cyclist on a country road? Boo hoo—who hasn’t dealt with that? To me, the story says more about your driving skills.

Also, it’s usually best not to finish a sentence that starts with “maybe it was my imagination.”

That said, a wolf pack of cyclists who refuse to ride single file or split into smaller groups when a car approaches from behind are being jerks.
Title: Re: 9/11
Post by: No one in Mn on September 15, 2026, 02:05:20 PM
I get stuck behind slow moving vehicles on 2 lane rural roads. Many pull over when they can to let people pass them so they can continue with their leisurely drive.
It's not difficult and there are no rules preventing it.
Title: Re: 9/11
Post by: Reacher on September 15, 2026, 02:22:00 PM
You volunteered that information on IlliniHQ, although it may have been HQ1 and not HQ2. Not sure.

I remember it because you posted that just a few days after I got stuck behind a cyclist on a narrow country road just outside St Charles. I was taking a trailer load of calves to a sale and it was an unusually hot fall day after having been cool for a while, which is hard on cattle.

That’s not all that’s hard on cattle…
Title: Re: 9/11
Post by: murphstahoe on September 15, 2026, 04:44:37 PM
That’s not all that’s hard on cattle…

Besides, Custard and Co. are overcharging, we can get much better prices on Argentinian beef
Title: Re: 9/11
Post by: Custard on September 15, 2026, 09:42:07 PM
Getting stuck behind a lone cyclist on a country road? Boo hoo—who hasn’t dealt with that? To me, the story says more about your driving skills.

Also, it’s usually best not to finish a sentence that starts with “maybe it was my imagination.”

That said, a wolf pack of cyclists who refuse to ride single file or split into smaller groups when a car approaches from behind are being jerks.

I was stuck behind him for a long time and he never made any attempt whatsoever to allow me to pass. That’s what made it feel like he was enjoying it 

Passing a cyclist basically driving down the middle of the road while driving a large diesel pickup pulling an 8’x30’ gooseneck stock trailer would be quite the feat.
Title: Re: 9/11
Post by: illiniray on September 15, 2026, 11:21:59 PM
I was stuck behind him for a long time and he never made any attempt whatsoever to allow me to pass. That’s what made it feel like he was enjoying it 

Passing a cyclist basically driving down the middle of the road while driving a large diesel pickup pulling an 8’x30’ gooseneck stock trailer would be quite the feat.

I seldom.use my horn, but I hope you had a loud one
Title: Re: 9/11
Post by: Custard on September 15, 2026, 11:31:04 PM
I seldom.use my horn, but I hope you had a loud one

Probably would have ended up in a confrontation video on CyclistHQ2.com!