IlliniHQ 2
General Category => Halas Hall Football Forum => Topic started by: Reacher on October 22, 2023, 05:42:01 AM
-
Doug Kramer gets activated I believe for the first time. Can’t imagine he gets much if any tick, though. Giving Bagent a Center playing in his first NFL game seems pretty unlikely.
Not filling the Center position adequately has quickly jumped near the top of Poles’ mistakes. Top 4-5.
-
Quietly lost in the misery that is the Chicago Bears is that the defense has been solid the last two games. No Justin Jefferson obviously helps.
-
Foreman and Bagent playing well. Already thrown to all our receivers. Pumping up the crowd.
-
Your quietness on that beautiful drive speaks volumes Tempo.
-
I was cleaning up the kitchen. 10 year extension for Bagent neowwwww!
-
Bagent has already gotten a completion to Foreman, Scott, Moore, and Jones.
-
While Tempo is all in on Justin Fields , I was way AOTC on the Tyson Bagent bandwagon - I watched him play in college!
Summary - my nephew was getting married in Shepherdstown and the venue was across the street from Shepherd College and I walked past the stadium during the game. I even cracked a beer with a couple guys tailgating beforehand
-
Brady Vs Manning has nothing on Bagent vs Hoyer
-
Bagent has already gotten a completion to Foreman, Scott, Moore, and Jones.
He’s on pace for like 120 yards passing.
-
He’s on pace for like 120 yards passing.
Just completed one to Mooney as well…
-
We’re up 14-0 and Tempo has nothing to say…
-
He’s on pace for like 120 yards passing.
He’s actually mocking the guy…
-
We’re up 14-0 and Tempo has nothing to say…
Lol.
Bagent is doing everything you could reasonably ask of him. He’s playing well. Do I see anything that screams OMG what an improvement over Justin Fields? Laughable.
They are playing at home against a bad team lead by a bad coach and a bad quarterback who’s seeing his first action in like 4 years.
Right now the “formula” is working, but let’s not overreact.
-
He’s actually mocking the guy…
I’m not mocking him at all. I’m putting things into perspective. If Fields led the Bears to a win with 150 yards passing and zero touchdowns PAMan would meet that with a “meh.”
Bagent is playing well.
-
But he’s not doing anything that screams franchise quarterback.
-
He’s currently averaging 5 yards an attempt. That won’t win you a lot of games. Overall, he’s playing well. But let’s stay grounded here.
-
Going in, I felt if Bagent could what he is doing the Bears would have a solid chance of winning the game. The Raiders aren’t good. Hoyer is a fringe NFL QB.
I actually played the Bears defense in several DFS lineups.
-
(https://i.postimg.cc/MTGpkpsV/IMG-5281.png) (https://postimg.cc/GBZCGdnm)
-
I’m actually impressed with Bagent. I’m just not seeing “OMG this is the ANSWER.”
-
Nice to see the Bears finally commit to a power running game.
-
That was a very nice play by Bagent.
-
I’m actually impressed with Bagent. I’m just not seeing “OMG this is the ANSWER.”
And you have with Fields?!
-
More shitty clock management by the Bears
-
And you have with Fields?!
Two weeks ago he was coming off 8 TDs and 600 yards in two games. That’s about as good of back to back games as I’ve ever seen statistically from a Bears QB.
We’ve seen nothing deep. I expect teams will adjust to that if not the Raiders 2nd half.
-
Glad Eberflus saved all of his timeouts until the last 10 seconds of the half.
Fucking loser.
-
So far it’s been a perfectly executed game plan by the Bears.
-
Peterman replaces Bagent on deep pass? Lol
-
I guess Lions to the Super Bowl talk was premature.
-
Known Hail Mary specialist Nathan Peterman
-
Bagent is doing the things a solid back up QB is supposed to do.
-
If we could combine Justin’s strengths with Bagent’s strengths, that might be something to behold. Having said that, I think Bagent’s strengths came be learned for the most part. Justin’s can’t.
-
NFL can get so weird. NE beating Buffalo 13-3 3rd quarter.
-
Bagent is doing the things a solid back up QB is supposed to do.
Agree 1000%.
-
You can just about put this one in the bank. Can’t see Brian Hoyer leading a comeback. Bears’ defense has been decent lately.
-
RB3 and RB4 carrying the Bears offense. Why in the world would you dish out serious dough to a running back?
-
Man, DJ had that one.
-
Really glad I picked up Foreman off waivers and started him today lol
-
Agent Bagent with his first TD pass! Dude looks good. Makes all the right decisions and throws.
-
And now I'm looking like a genius for picking up Foreman off waivers last week :D
-
And now I'm looking like a genius for picking up Foreman off waivers last week :D
I picked him up last night lol
-
Hell, technically this morning.
-
Hopefully Justin sees what’s happening and realizes every play doesn’t have to go for 35 yards.
-
Hopefully Justin sees what’s happening and realizes every play doesn’t have to go for 35 yards.
He needs to do what Bagent is doing. Make a decision and throw the damn ball.
-
RB3 and RB4 carrying the Bears offense. Why in the world would you dish out serious dough to a running back?
One guy was a healthy inactive for the first month and the other guy was just on a practice squad. They look motivated as they should be.
-
Turn your head, Jaylon.
-
Nice play by Lake Zurich Urlacher.
-
Right through Adams hands. It may be the Bears day yet. Bitch about lack of targets some more, Davante.
Not sure what the hell Stevenson was doing there other than getting cooked.
-
Yeah he catches that 97 times out of 100.
-
And down goes Foreman.
-
I’m in 312th place out of 192k in the millionaire maker. I need Gibbs and LaPorta to get garbage time stats against Baltimore.
-
Let’s get that 100 yard bonus out of Foreman! And another TD!
-
Wow, Travis Homer. Yikes bro
-
This game went exactly according to script for the Bears. Bagent was excellent. But 5.8 yards per attempt is not going going to beat good teams.
-
This game went exactly according to script for the Bears. Bagent was excellent. But 5.8 yards per attempt is not going going to beat good teams.
Good tweet…
https://x.com/polesplseat/status/1716149804101738601?s=46&t=nLWTarDKWNHMqYhTVD-LQQ
-
Wow, Travis Homer. Yikes bro
Now we know why he's on special teams.
-
Now that's how you make up for an earlier PI
-
Good tweet…
https://x.com/polesplseat/status/1716149804101738601?s=46&t=nLWTarDKWNHMqYhTVD-LQQ
Lol
-
Was just about to say hear come the “Tyson Bagent is the future chants.”
-
This was the performance I was hoping for/half expecting last week against Minnesota when I predicted a turnaround.
-
Was just about to say hear come the “Tyson Bagent is the future chants.”
This one win for Bagent is almost more than Fields has in 3 years…
-
Johnson padding the INT stats
-
This one win for Bagent is almost more than Fields has in 3 years…
Dude, the defense is coming around. Players are getting healthier. The Raiders suck and played a QB who sucks and hasn’t played in years. Good win, but let’s not get out over our skis. The Bears were due to run over a cupcake at home.
-
Dude, the defense is coming around. Players are getting healthier. The Raiders suck and played a QB who sucks and hasn’t played in years. Good win, but let’s not get out over our skis. The Bears were due to run over a cupcake at home.
I wouldn’t have expected anything else from you…
-
LMAO
-
If you think this game plan is beating the Eagles, Lions, or 49ers I have a bridge to sell you. The Bears had a smart game plan, Bagent executed it to near perfection, and the defense took advantage of a severely limited offense.
-
Last I checked, Fields isn’t beating any of those teams either.
-
He just beat the Commanders by 20 on the road. The Bears were due to beat a cupcake at home.
-
He just beat the Commanders by 20 on the road. The Bears were due to beat a cupcake at home.
Your attitude after that win was very different than now. Weird, huh?!
-
Are we really going to overlook the fact that Bagent was replaced by Nathan Peterman on a Hail Mary? Bagent was excellent today, but 5.5 YPA isn’t going to beat good teams. Plus, now there is tape on Bagent.
-
Man I’m gonna have to start following this account…
https://x.com/polesplseat/status/1716178068039954913?s=46&t=nLWTarDKWNHMqYhTVD-LQQ
-
Your attitude after that win was very different than now. Weird, huh?!
It was nice to see a really good team win at home. I’m not delusional enough to think Bagent looked like more than he was. An efficient backup who did everything he was asked to do. Which wasn’t a lot.
-
I did point out that Justin could look at Bagent’s performance and perhaps learn something from it.
-
Yeah I'm not getting carried away. Sure the kid was efficient and didn't turn the ball over but he also was handing it off and pitching it to Foreman and Evans for a chunk of the game.
Let's see how he does next week on the road in primetime against a team not quarterbacked by Brian Hoyer. Chargers are nothing special but I would put them a step or two above the Raiders.
-
Next week will be a good test for the defense as well.
-
Next week will be a good test for the defense as well.
Indeed. They've played well the last two games but they were a facing a Vikings offense without Jefferson and Brian Hoyer today. I'll be a believer in the D if they show up against Herbert and company.
-
Hail Mary is trending on Twitter. Lol
-
Was just about to say hear come the “Tyson Bagent is the future chants.”
trading Justin Fields for 3 picks that turn into a few good players and have the free agent money to get CMac, keep Bosa and Deebo, is the future
-
trading Justin Fields for 3 picks that turn into a few good players and have the free agent money to get CMac, keep Bosa and Deebo, is the future
This makes less sense than most Mn posts.
-
This makes less sense than most Mn posts.
He posted some nonsense in the other thread about DeVito saving the Bears while playing for the Giants. 🤷🏻♂️
-
He posted some nonsense in the other thread about DeVito saving the Bears while playing for the Giants. 🤷🏻♂️
Guessing he loaded up at the dispensary today.
-
Guessing he loaded up at the dispensary today.
Probably from that TBI he got in a bicycle accident…
-
This makes less sense than most Mn posts.
Point being if you dump fields and his salary and start an undrafted free agent at the most expensive position, it really lets you stack up the rest of the team. Working pretty well for the Niners. Then again, I doubt this kid is Brock Purdy
-
Point being if you dump fields and his salary and start an undrafted free agent at the most expensive position, it really lets you stack up the rest of the team. Working pretty well for the Niners. Then again, I doubt this kid is Brock Purdy
I think you’re on to SOMETHING! Every team should start a 7th round or UDFA rookie! Think of the extra coin they’d save!
-
Haven’t seen a football take that funny since Squeaky left.
-
Sounding like this Raider loss might be a catalyst for getting McDaniels fired.
-
Sounding like this Raider loss might be a catalyst for getting McDaniels fired.
That dude sucks. I’d rather have Eberflus. I would have never hired him. Another case of a quarterback getting someone over promoted.
-
I think you’re on to SOMETHING! Every team should start a 7th round or UDFA rookie! Think of the extra coin they’d save!
No - just the teams that are stupid enough to draft dopes like Justin Fields in the first round. If you can draft Patrick Mahomes, well then, you go with Mahomes, if your opinion of a franchise QB is Justin Fields, just pick Travis Etienne instead and start an UDFA.
I guess maybe the answer is not to have dopes as GMs or owners.
-
No - just the teams that are stupid enough to draft dopes like Justin Fields in the first round. If you can draft Patrick Mahomes, well then, you go with Mahomes, if your opinion of a franchise QB is Justin Fields, just pick Travis Etienne instead and start an UDFA.
I guess maybe the answer is not to have dopes as GMs or owners.
(see also: Don't trade multiple picks for Russell Wilson SMDH)
-
(see also: Don't trade multiple picks for Russell Wilson SMDH)
It wasn't just the picks. It was the salary that came with it. The Broncos are fucked for that, and they can't get out of it for a very long time.
-
It wasn't just the picks. It was the salary that came with it. The Broncos are fucked for that, and they can't get out of it for a very long time.
It really starts to seem that you just stockpile picks and get a bunch of rookies, pay them the low rookie salaries, and when you get a Nick Bosa or a CMac or Tom Brady then you pay them with all the leftover space. There are a reasonable handful of difference makers in the NFL, past that it's mostly noise. Toss in that the shelf life of a lot of these players is pretty short, these long term deals for major bucks can be very precarious, NFL players don't decay, they go off the cliff. JJ Watt had a fine last season and would probably have kept playing but he had a heart afib. Done. Repeated across the league.
-
It really starts to seem that you just stockpile picks and get a bunch of rookies, pay them the low rookie salaries, and when you get a Nick Bosa or a CMac or Tom Brady then you pay them with all the leftover space. There are a reasonable handful of difference makers in the NFL, past that it's mostly noise. Toss in that the shelf life of a lot of these players is pretty short, these long term deals for major bucks can be very precarious, NFL players don't decay, they go off the cliff. JJ Watt had a fine last season and would probably have kept playing but he had a heart afib. Done. Repeated across the league.
Yes, and that's why there's not "long term deals." It's all based on guaranteed money. Length of contract doesn't mean anything.
-
The guaranteed money is just about as crippling to the franchise. Basically what Murph is expounding on here is the Patriots dynasty. Go get yourself the GOAT QB in the 7th round, plug in a bunch of guys around him, and churn as necessary.
-
The guaranteed money is just about as crippling to the franchise. Basically what Murph is expounding on here is the Patriots dynasty. Go get yourself the GOAT QB in the 7th round, plug in a bunch of guys around him, and churn as necessary.
Yep. The key tho, is, get it done while the QB is on his rookie deal.
-
That's how the Seahawks were so good with Russ. Once they had to pay him, it was over.
If Purdy is good enough with the 9ers, and it looks like he is, they will be good for a long time.
-
This is a really good thread about why I don’t care about the NFL anymore. Just tons of really mediocre to bad teams and a few that are ok to good for a couple years at a time. Sucks.
-
And teams losing on purpose. No league with competitive integrity should ever have a system that rewards losing.
-
So DO draft Patrick Mahomes. DON’T draft Justin Fields! Wow. This is EASY! You should give a “GM course.”
-
What other quarterbacks in the last 5-10 years WOULD you have drafted? And WOULD NOT have drafted?
-
Not my job
-
Not my job
I can make a list:
DO draft:
Aaron Rodgers
Joe Burrow
Josh Allen
Jalen Hurts
Lamar Jackson
Russell Wilson
Justin Herbert
Matthew Stafford
Tua Tagovailoa
Trevor Lawrence
DO NOT draft:
Josh Rosen
Sam Darnold
Baker Mayfield
Daniel Jones
Johnny Manziel
Robert Griffin
JaMarcus Russell
Blaine Gabbert
Joey Harrington
Brady Quinn
Holy shit, drafting quarterbacks is EASY!
-
The guaranteed money is just about as crippling to the franchise. Basically what Murph is expounding on here is the Patriots dynasty. Go get yourself the GOAT QB in the 7th round, plug in a bunch of guys around him, and churn as necessary.
The salary cap should be adjusted in a way to where teams shouldn’t have to worry about the QB being on a rookie deal so much.
-
And teams losing on purpose. No league with competitive integrity should ever have a system that rewards losing.
Agreed. There has to be a relatively simple fix. Like QBs are exempt from salary cap totals.
-
This is a really good thread about why I don’t care about the NFL anymore. Just tons of really mediocre to bad teams and a few that are ok to good for a couple years at a time. Sucks.
Sounds a lot like college football. But without the top 5 programs at the top in perpetuity.
-
About the only question to be answered in college this year is; which Georgia team of the last 3 years the best Georgia team?
-
I’m looking forward to the 12 team expansion of the playoffs. I don’t think it will impact the championship game, but at least some lesser teams will have their time in the spotlight and it’ll make the buildup better because it’ll be on the field instead of the voting.
It will also make #11 vs #15 in late November much more meaningful.
-
And then, of course, there’s the ultimate DO DRAFT: Tom Brady!
-
Sounds a lot like college football. But without the top 5 programs at the top in perpetuity.
Agreed for the most part but a little dynasty action isn’t all bad. Makes a lot of games more meaningful for the “little guys” and provides some quality upsets here and there. Plus even the current “haves” like the Alabamas and tOSUs and Michigans of CFB have spent some time wandering in the desert in between the coaches that really get it done in those places. Georgia wasn’t much recently before Kirby, and Clemson wasn’t much recently before Dabo. USC hasn’t found consistent success since PC left. Florida and Miami have been down for a while. LSU has been struggling, relatively speaking, since their natty. Penn State has been solid most years but can’t win the big games, Oregon has been up and down. Notre Dame is in the same boat. But you know a lot of these schools can rise up any given weekend and give anyone a scare or pull an upset, or vice versa. It’s definitely not perfect but there is more pageantry and excitement and drama around the college game which keeps me tuning in.
-
In the last 21 years I count 10 different national champions. Which is probably a couple more than I would have thought.
The college playoff usually seems to feature the same 8-9 programs.
-
Lol.
Bagent is doing everything you could reasonably ask of him. He’s playing well. Do I see anything that screams OMG what an improvement over Justin Fields? Laughable.
They are playing at home against a bad team lead by a bad coach and a bad quarterback who’s seeing his first action in like 4 years.
Right now the “formula” is working, but let’s not overreact.
As expected, JJ throating Bagent from the get-go. Early in this thread I acknowledge he’s playing well and doing everything you could reasonably ask. And also that he was beating a guy who hasn’t started in 4 years. Mn would be proud of me adding that context.
-
As expected, JJ throating Bagent from the get-go. Early in this thread I acknowledge he’s playing well and doing everything you could reasonably ask. And also that he was beating a guy who hasn’t started in 4 years. Mn would be proud of me adding that context.
LOL
-
LOL
Lol
-
Mn would be proud of me adding that context.
Lololol
-
Lol
-
RoFL
-
I was misinformed apparently (flog me later!). He’d started a couple games in the last few years. 0-16 in his last 16 starts! Great win!